You’re expecting? Congratulations!
This is a unique time of anticipation and planning, and much attention is given to your health and the health of your developing baby. As you focus on a healthy diet, exercise, and rest, don’t forget about the importance of your oral health! At Chester County Family Dentistry, the dentist Downingtown residents love, we are ready to support your needs during this special time.
Six Tips to Remember
- Maintain your oral hygiene by continuing to brush and floss regularly. Ask your dentist in Downingtown for any special products or recommendations during this time.
- Talk to your dentist! Routine visits are safe during pregnancy, but do notify your Downingtown dentist of your pregnancy at the start of your visit. Be sure to mention any changes in medications or any information from your ob/gyn that is specific to your pregnancy, especially if your pregnancy is high risk or if there are other medical conditions. Your dentist in Downingtown may want to delay certain procedures if there are unusual circumstances.
- Note changes in your mouth. Some women are more prone to gingivitis during pregnancy. Gingivitis is a mild form of gum disease with symptoms of red, tender and sore gums. Untreated, gingivitis can lead to more serious gum disease. Keep your teeth clean and your gums healthy with regular brushing, flossing, and bi-annual professional cleanings and exams. If you observe changes in your gums, notify your Downingtown dentists as soon as possible.
- Enjoy a healthy diet! This is important for your own dental health, but also for the health of your developing baby. Between the third and sixth months of pregnancy, your baby’s teeth begin to develop. Key nutrients including Vitamins A, C, and D, protein, calcium, and phosphorus are all essential for the development of strong and healthy teeth. Choose nutrient dense foods that are low in sugar. Raw vegetables and fruit, yogurt, and cheese are a few examples. Always follow the advice of your physician.
- X-rays are safe. Should x-rays be necessary during your pregnancy, your Downingtown dentist will provide a protective lead apron to minimize exposure during the x-ray.
- Protect your teeth from morning sickness. Many women experience morning sickness during pregnancy, some even vomiting. Rinsing with a mixture of 1 teaspoon of baking soda in a cup of water will protect your teeth from the effects of stomach acid.
- Care for your baby’s budding teeth. Once your baby arrives, get a head start on caring for her budding teeth. By 6 months of age, many babies’ first teeth appear. Get your baby used to brushing early by wiping her gums with a clean moist cloth. When that first tooth peeks through, continue to use a soft cloth until she is ready to try her first toothbrush!
So if you’re looking for the best dentist Downington offers for your pregnancy needs, look no further! We at Chester County Family Dentistry wish you and your growing family the very best during this special time. It’s our privilege to be your expert dentists in Downingtown. Contact us today!
Dentist Downingtown | Downingtown Dentist